News | Iceland Monitor | Sun 29 Dec 2019 | 8.11 GMT
New Year’s Eve Bonfires in Capital Area
As in recent years, there are ten bonfires planned in Reykjavík and vicinity this New Year’s Eve, according to the website of Reykjavík City. The bonfires will be lit a 8:30 pm that night, with two exceptions. A bonfire near Úlfarsfell mountain will be lit at 3 pm and the one in Skerjafjörður at 9 pm, following a torch parade.
The bonfires are planned at the following locations:
- On Ægisíða—a small bonfire.
- In Skerjafjörður, across the street from Skildinganes 48-52—a small bonfire, lit at 9 pm.
- By Suðurhlíðar, below Fossvogskirkjugarður cemetery—a small bonfire.
- In Laugardalur, near Laugarásvegur 18—a small bonfire.
- On the north side of Geirsnef point—a large bonfire.
- By Suðurfell—a small bonfire.
- On the north side of Rauðavatn lake—a large bonfire.
- On Gufunes point, by Gufunesbær—a large bonfire.
- By Kléberg in Kjalarnes—a small bonfire.
- By Úlfarsfell mountain, near Lambhagavegur road—a small bonfire, lit at 3 pm.
For a detailed map of all the locations, please click here.