The search has stopped: "Everything that could be done, was done"

It was deemed impossible to secure the safety of the …

It was deemed impossible to secure the safety of the rescue workers in the fissure which ultimately led to this hard decision to stop the search. Photo/Landsbjörg

The search for the man who was believed to have fallen into a fissure in Grindavík has been stopped. Emergency responders did everything they could to make it within the danger limit, according to Bogi Adolfsson, chairman of the rescue team Þorbjörn in Grindavík.

It was not considered not justifiable to put the lives of the searchers at risk. Adolfsson says that no further evidence has been found of the man.

The conditions were extremely hard.

The conditions were extremely hard. Photo/Landsbjörg

“People were already sceptical about rock-collapse,” he says, “but the search was postponed yesterday because of the risk of rocks falling. They just didn’t feel comfortable down there with this, and you simply have to respect it.”

He says it was a joint decision of all responders to stop the search. “It’s always possible to go on forever, but at some point it’s just become dangerous for the searchers.”

Photo/Landsbjörg

Difficult conclusion

Search operations of this kind are unprecedented, according to information from Landsbjörg rescue team.

“It was difficult for people, but everyone tried to do what they could. For my part, I’m completely drained after realising that the search has been called off.”

The search was ongoing since mid Wednesday.

The search was ongoing since mid Wednesday. Photo/Landsbjörg

Despite all this, Adolfsson insists that the search operations were carried out in excellent cooperation with the police and other rescue teams, especially the contractors who were able to help.

“In my opinion, everything that could be done was done, as the danger limits allowed,” Bogi concludes.

“Sadly this is the conclusion”

Here you can see how difficult the conditions were

Here you can see how difficult the conditions were Photo/Landsbjörg

Landsbjörg sent a statement last night because the search had been called off:

“As has been mentioned, the chief of the South-East Police has decided to stop the search for the man who fell into a fissure in Grindavík on Wednesday morning.

The Disaster Response Society Landsbjörg sends their deepest condolences to her family members of the man. It is extremely depressing for the rescue workers to have to leave the search without success.

This search is unprecedented and was extremely demanding. The cooperation of all the rescue parties, the rescue teams, the fire departments of Grindavík and the capital area, special police units and the police in Suðurnes went as well as expected, but sadly this is the conclusion. Our thoughts are with the family members.”

Photo/Landsbjörg

Stopping the search with a heavy heart

Þorbjörn Rescue team posted an announcement on Facebook saying that it is with a heavy heart that the search is stopped due to safety issues and how that decision was made last night that it was not justifiable to risk people's lives . That was a very difficult decision to make .

Their thoughts are with the man's family and send them their deepest condolences .

The rescue team of Suðurnes also posted an announcement on Facebook where they send their deepest condolences to the family of the man .

Photo/Landsbjörg



Weather

Overcast

Today

3 °C

Overcast

Tomorrow

4 °C

Light rain

Friday

3 °C