Icelandic oysters cause food poisoning at top notch restaurant

Infected Icelandic oysters caused food poisoning for 48 individuals at Skelfisksmarkaðurinn, a relatively new restaurant owned by succcessful tv chef and restaurant owner Hrefna Sætran. Icelandic oysters are a novelty in Iceland as all oysters on menus until now have been imported from Ireland or other countries. 

The oysters were imported as youngsters and raised in Skjálfandaflói bay by company Víkurskel. This is the first time that the noro virus is confirmed in oysters in Iceland. 

Forty-four individuals ate oysters at the restaurant from November 8th to November 13th and four further individuals ate oysters between October 29th and November 4th. Oysters infected by the noro virus were on the menu during this period of time, confirms the Icelandid food and veterinary authority. According to the health authorities they found that the restaurant complied to all regulations and standards with regards to food safety and hygiene. 

Weather

Light drizzle

Today

2 °C

Rain

Later today

4 °C

Rain

Tomorrow

8 °C

Warning: Yellow More

Exchange rates

USD USD 121.61 EUR EUR 138.20
GBP GBP 155.01 DKK DKK 18.52
NOK NOK 14.23 SEK SEK 13.48
CHF CHF 122.32 JPY JPY 1.08
ISK price of selected currencies, according to the official exchange rate of the Central Bank of Iceland. Updated daily.